Sunday, June 22, 2008

Update: Tick 2008 - Newsflash!!

After speaking with the doctor on-call at our family practice, she immediately put my mind at ease. She informed me that our area isn't one to have a high incidence of Lyme Disease. She also suggested a Single-Dose of Doxycycline as a preventative type measure. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief. Since we don't know what type tick it really was, only that it was teeny tiny, we'll "monitor" Sofie for a month making sure there's no rash or fever. Now it seems I have my own fear of bugs and what they might do to my kid. This is going to be a fun four weeks remaining of Camp Riverlea and all the creepy crawlies that go along with it. This is certainly NOT helping me deal with Sofie's fear of bugs situation.

1 comment:

kaycee said...

If it makes you feel any better, my kids and I have had so many ticks... As long as you get them off soon, the chance of contracting lyme's is very small. My understanding is that they inject the bacteria when they've finished their blood meal and are ready to drop off. Yuck.

Our dog, Roxy, has lyme disease, and that is exactly how it happened. We missed a tick on her, and it dropped off on its own. How do I know this? Ask me later, if you have the stomach for it.