Saturday, January 13, 2007

Taking Care

This week has been a challenge on so many levels. I've already written about what's going on with Debra, however, I haven't updated you all on my health. I'm exhausted. Mentally and physically.

Early this week I developed a cough that quickly moved to my chest. (Oh, the joys of a compromised immune system!!) I called my primary care physician and saw her on Thursday. I was a little concerned about this because I'm supposed to have chemo next week. If my white blood counts are too low, they will not do the chemo. My doc took no chances and she's treating me for bronchitis with an antibiotic. Glad she did because as I suspected, Friday I received a call from my nurse at Duke. She told me my white count, red count and ANC (absolute neutrophil count) are all low. Tuesday, they'll do another CBC and if my counts have rebounded(which I suspect will happen)I will receive chemotherapy #4. Otherwise, they'll push it back a week.

This weekend, I'm tasked with taking it easy and taking care of myself. That's hard to do sometimes. For instance today was the Women's Basketball rematch of the year. The Maryland Terrapins were playing the Duke Blue Devils. I've become quite fond of the Blue Devils while living here in Durham. I've been a season ticket holder for a couple of years. It's a joy to watch women athletes at their level. I had to go to the game!! So, I rested last night, slept in this morning and headed out to the game with friends. I coughed and sucked on Ricola's the entire game while enjoying the energy and excitement of Cameron Indoor Stadium. It was contagious. The game was excellent. I did overdo it a bit. Now, I'm home for the evening and plan to have a low key tomorrow, as well.

Taking care of myself is something I find hard to do. I'm kind of a "push on thru" kind of girl. Luckily, I have people watching my back and making sure I get enough rest and recharging.

No comments: